Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Adoption: The Gift They Cannot Give Each Other

I have two wonderful friends who are so very dear to my heart. For many years now they've tried and tried to have a baby, but God has asked them to try a different path to seek their goal. Almost a year ago they began the road to adoption.

Adoption is a wonderful thing, even if it does come out of difficult circumstances. There are many in my life who have had the opportunity to adopt, and many more who are hoping to adopt one day. But this particular couple are on my mind in such a fashion I cannot think there is a baby about to be born who is meant to be a part of this glorious family.

I don't know that the answer to their prayers will come through this blog, but if I had the chance to further their opportunity to have a baby and did nothing about it...well, I couldn't very well live in peace.

I am putting up a link to their adoption site, and pray someone out there who knows of a baby in need of a family will take a good, hard look. For those who don't, I beg you will include them in your prayers. There is nothing these two want more than a little one to raise, and the love they can provide him or her is immeasurable.

Before the link, I want to share the lyrics to two songs written by a Christian musician by the name of Michael McLean. He has been one of my favorites for years. One day he received a phone call from a young woman who asked him to write a song for her and the baby she had chosen to let someone else raise. The first song is his inspiration. Later he penned another song, this one done through the voice of an adoptive mother who was so grateful to have received a gift she and her husband could not give each other. Please, stop and read these lyrics, and think about what you can help give to these friends of mine.

From God's Arms, To My Arms, To Yours

With so many wrong decisions in my past, I'm not quite sure
If I can ever hope to trust my judgement anymore.
But lately I've been thinking, 'cause it's all I've had to do.
And in my heart I feel that I should give this child to you.

And maybe you can tell your baby,
When you love him so, that he's been loved before;
By someone who delivered your son
From God's arms, to my arms, to yours.

If you choose to tell him, and if he wants to know,
How the one who gave him life could bear to let him go;
Just tell him there were sleepless nights; I prayed and paced the floors
And knew the only peace I'd find is if this child was yours.

And maybe you can tell your baby,
When you love him so, that he's been loved before;
By someone who delivered your son
From God's arms, to my arms, to yours.

Now I know that you don't have to do this,
But could you kiss him once for me
The first time that he ties his shoes, or falls and skins his knee?
And could you hold him twice as long when he makes his mistakes,
And tell him that he's not alone, sometimes that's all it takes.
I know how much he'll ache.

This may not be the answer for another girl like me;
But I'm not on a soapbox saying how we all should be.
I'm just trusting in my feelings and I'm trusting God above,
And I'm trusting you can give this baby
Both his mothers' love.

And maybe you can tell your baby
When you love him so that he's been loved before;
By someone who delivered your son
From God's arms, to my arms, to yours.


The Gift We Could Not Give Each Other

When she was a little girl she held her dolls like children
Dreaming of the day when she'd have babies of her own.
Now those dolls lie on a shelf as lifeless as the dreams she dreamed.
It's become the deepest ache her heart has ever known.

There's a man who's trying his best to comfort her with roses,
Telling her he'll find a way to make their dreams come true.
He's been saying this for years, but now his tears reveal the truth.
In his heart he fears there's nothing else that they can do.

Then a gift is given, a phone call straight from heaven.
There's a child that's nearly due that a young girl's giving you.
She gave more than just one life
When she makes of this man and wife a father and a mother.
She gives the gift they could not give each other.

More than we could ever know this couple thanks the heavens.
Every time they hold their child, they feel they hold the world.
Words will never be enough to share the way the family feels.
From deep inside their hearts they want to tell that girl:

Not a day is ever through till we've thanked the Lord for you.
Your sweetness lingers near in our hearts and thoughts and prayers.
You gave more than just one life when you made of this man and wife,
A father and a mother.
When you gave the gift we could not give each other.
You have changed our lives forever.

Only you and God above could give this gift of love
We could not give each other.


Please, please, help God give this gift to Brian and Erin.

No comments: