Sunday, July 25, 2010

A Sweet Tribute

I had the opportunity to speak in our main church meeting today, something I really quite enjoy doing. Last Sunday I posted a story the Lord blessed me with to give to the girls at camp the week before. Today I was asked to share that story with our congregation.

Afterward one girl - I say girl but HELLO! She's 19 now! - that I used to teach in the young women program came up to me afterward. With tears in her eyes she said, "I hate you." We both laughed as she continued to say, "You always make me cry."

Though when she began to cry in earnest I absolutely had to reach over and give her a big hug. "I really miss you," she said, and my heart broke a little. She's been feeling adrift lately, as she's no longer a part of the young women program, but not exactly a full-fledged member of the relief society (for women 18 and older). There's this terrible sort of in-between stage where you finally have to rely on your own testimony and find your way in this crazy world of ours.

We chatted for a few minutes, something we really haven't had a chance to do in a long, long time, and it became time to leave. But her message to me perhaps far outweighed anything I might have given her, for she let me know I meant something to her. And that's a gift I shall treasure always.

No comments: