Thursday, August 5, 2010

What Does Your Body Language Say About You?

I went grocery shopping this morning, not an unusual occurence. While there I was doing a little "people watching" as I went up and down a few isles, and one particular woman caught my eye.

She was heavier in her build, long, dark hair pulled back into a ponytail. Her skin looked fair and healthy, though her features held no expression whatsoever. But what really spoke volumes on how she felt was the way she stood.

Her shoulders were hunched forward and slumped down. Her head was also bent forward, as though afraid to glance up on the chance someone might actually notice her standing there. Every movement was small, hesitant. I wanted nothing more than to go over, take her shoulders, and push them back a little. I wanted to tip her chin up and raise the corners of her mouth to create a hint of a smile. Those three things would have made a world of difference.

I wondered how I looked as I walked through the store. I'm also heavier in my build, my long, red hair pulled back in a ponytail. This is where the similarities between the two of us ended. Though my skin may not be flawless I typically have a smile on my face. I prefer to keep my head up and shoulders pulled back as it helps my posture. And those three things perhaps make a load of difference in how I am perceived.

How do you think you are perceived? How do you hold yourself when you're out in public? Is it different from how you hold yourself when at home?

Just an observation :)

2 comments:

Little Messy Missy said...

Short...hehehehe.

Unknown said...

I too, like to keep my shoulders back and head up smiling. Sometimes I forget the smile, so I hope it doesn't mean I'm angry...My Mom has the funniest wrinkle in her forehead which people perceive as her being angry (when really she's just in deep thought). I'm afraid I'm getting that same wrinkle...GRrr. Proof is in our wedding video. It's my LEAST favorite part and actually brings some pretty violent feelings. Yeah, it's THAT bad. If you see my wrinkle between my brows and think I'm mad, just come give me a nudge and it'll wiggle it right out. Thanks!