Sunday, February 10, 2019

What's in a Name Change?

Okay, I know, it's been over a year since I last wrote. You know those words, "There is a time for everything", well, the last few years have definitely NOT been a time for blog posting. It's not that I haven't had things to write about. There simply wasn't enough 'time', nor energy for that matter.

During my Sunday meeting with the women of my local congregation, we discussed a recent talk given by the president of our church, Russel M. Nelson. In this talk he was directing us to stop utilizing the more common nicknames of our church, and go back to the direct name given through inspiration to the first prophet of this dispensation: the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The discussion prompted by this talk among my sisters in church was awesome. Ideas were shared, answers were given, and we were all agreed this wasn't a major, life-changing event. Regardless, it's important.

In the culture of our religion we had taken on many nicknames: LDS, Latter-day Saints, The Church, and Mormons. Every single one of these names excluded the very person we claim to worship with all our hearts, minds, and bodies. The name of Jesus Christ.

President Nelson said, "To remove the Lord’s name from the Lord’s Church is a major victory for Satan. When we discard the Savior’s name, we are subtly disregarding all that Jesus Christ did for us—even His Atonement."

When I first heard the words a major victory for Satan I sat back, stunned. I began to think about how happy it really must make Satan to take out the very name of the individual he most hates. Of course he would want to subtly lead us down a path that would keep us from using His name. Tiny little acts like these, that to us may seem vastly unimportant, place us on a road that will separate us from our Lord. And one day we will look back and wonder why we feel so far from Him.

This is why we need individuals like our dear prophet, who gives us firm, loving reminders to correct our course while the going is still easy. Something as simple as remembering to whom this gospel belongs, and being willing to make the little changes necessary to keep on His path.

I knew I needed to change the name of this blog, but I was slow in getting to it, simply because my time has been needed by other things. Fortunately my Savior is patient, and gives me even more reminders like going back over this awesome talk.

I am not a Mormon. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I am going to be more vigilant in making sure I use the correct name of the church I believe the Savior restored upon this blessed earth.

If you would like to read the talk by President Nelson following this link: "The Correct Name of the Church".

No comments: