Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I Did Exactly What I Threatened

Earlier this year my oldest decided she wanted to try and grow her hair out to donate, like her mama. I told her one thing, "You take care of it yourself or we chop it off."

"I promise, Mom, I promise," says she. Night after night she'd carefully wash and condition her hair, even taking the spray on conditioner just to be certain. Then she'd come innocently into me so I could brush out the tangles and braid it.

"All right," I thought. "At least she's making an effort."

Then school got out. No longer did she take her nightly bath. No more did she come into me to comb out tangles and put it up in braids. She'd brush the top down so things looked relatively normal at first glance. It wasn't until I tried running my fingers through her hair that I almost lost them in the mass of giant knots that had formed underneath. Was she building a nest for birds? Was the effort of getting the hair next to her neck so tremendous her arms lost their strength too soon? I don't know. I just know it was starting to get old.

I finally made good on my promise. Okay so it wasn't a completel chop, but Grandma Glenda did cut off a good six inches! I've recorded a before and after picture. The nice thing is, with that face, just about any haircut looks awesome.

BEFORE



AFTER

2 comments:

Josie and Wayne said...

ha ha. I remember the mom thing, the combing of the fingers in the hair to find the tangles. I had long hair and never could take care of it, so I had to chop mine too. I've had a hair complex my entire life, just ask my family.

Cynthia said...

Cute hair cut. I loved the comment about building a bird nest.