Wednesday, January 28, 2009

What to Post About? What to Post?

It's been a few days, but that certainly doesn't mean I haven't been contemplating things to post about. Should I post about having my toddler catch my cold and sitting up with her until after 11 at night? Or should I post about the kids taking up all my computer time now that they're running out of things to do while they're off track? Or perhaps I should post about my poor husband being stranded at the gas station for two hours as he waited in the freezing cold for his darn family to get off the Internet so we could come tow him home when his truck stalled???

Nah, you wouldn't want to hear about all that. So instead I'll post about my Monday doctor's appt. My husband and mother were in cahoots to get me to go to the doctor. I haven't had a physical done in many years. Mostly this has been due to the fact that I knew what he'd say: you need to lose weight (which I do), you've gained 80 pound since you were last here, and your cholesterol is too high so here are a few hundred pills to take in the hope it'll lower in three months time. Then I'd try to convince him it's really not my fault that things got so bad, and he'd give me the look that says, "yeah, right."

I've been rather unwell the last few months, with all sorts of little things. The last straw for my hubby was when I struggled with breathing as the air worsened, and got a cold at the same time. He kept telling me to call and get an appointment for a physical. I'd say, "sure honey," and not do it. So unbeknown to me he...are you ready for this...called my mother!!! Mommy dearest called me and we talked for a while - nothing unusual in that - and we eventually got around to talking about needing to get in to the doctor.

She's a sneaky one, that woman.

By that time the idea had been working on me for a few weeks, and she convinced me I could set the appointment for a few months in advance if I wasn't ready yet. Several days later I finally did it, then found out if I hadn't by the end of the week, she was ready to come pick me up one day and "take me for a ride." Like a dog blissfully ignorant of heading to the vet.

In any case I got into the doc a lot earlier than any of us thought, a mere week away. I did NOT sleep well the night before. Of course the actual appointment went well. In fact, it turns out I'd lost four pounds since the last time I'd been there. Okay it's not much, but at least I hadn't gained anything! Doc. listened to me, which I appreciate, and gave me some great suggestions. He told me I have a bit of tendinitis in my right ankle, and that was the biggest news I received that day :) Lovin' it!

When my husband came home later that day I crashed. Holy cow did I crash. He sent me off to bed for a nap and 2 1/2 hours later I forced myself to wake up. This sweet man took care of the kids, made dinner and washed the dishes so I could catch up on some z's. Awesome, I know.

Still, I was dreading the blood test results. I can't begin to tell you how much I don't want to go on cholesterol medications. Beyond the occasional antibiotic for sinus stuff I rarely take prescription meds (OTC is an entirely different matter). So imagine my utter and complete surprise when it turned out my cholesterol is fine. Fine! My triglycerides are an entirely different matter, and I'm doing some research on how to fix that. But I'm so happy. I'm so thrilled. And after worrying myself out of sleep I feel so very hopeful that things are going to be okay. I'm even finding time to exercise.

So that's what I decided to post about today. Hope you all enjoyed the ride.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I don't like going to the doctor either.

Unknown said...

I don't enjoy going to the doctor either... but I force myself to go every year. Glad everything went well too!! WHO HOO!!! :)