Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A Battle of Wills

I sat next to the toilet today for a good twenty minutes. Not because I was pondering life or...well...sick. In my arms squirmed a feisty little girl who was utterly convinced I was torturing her for the fun of it.

Okay so I did chuckle a time or two, but mostly I was frustrated. You see, I'm trying to potty train my youngest.

Are you all moaning for me right now?

My youngest has by far the most stubborn nature of any of my children. She'll relentlessly badger a person until she gets precisely what she wants. And if she doesn't? Let's just say she's spent a lot of time pondering the intricacies of the dreaded corner.

Today I told her she wouldn't get a diaper back on until she at least tried going in the potty. Nope! Not gonna do it. She'd rather go diaperless and cry hysterically than sit on that dreaded toilet.

Before you say, "Well Laurie, they have these wonderful things call potty-training toilets that are just her size!", let me say we've tried it. She's worn it as a hat. She's pulled it all around the house as a comfortable chair. She just won't allow the delicate skin of her behind to touch it.

I know I'm supposed to let her do it at her "own pace," but my goodness it looks like her pace will be diapers until she's thirty! I know it's important not to push her until she's standing in the living room clutching her bum and crying, but UGH! I'm so tired of changing dirty, stinky diapers. I've been doing dirty diapers for YEARS now. We'd really like to start spending that hard earned money on other frivolous things...like toilet paper. Or peanut butter.

Today she won. I finally caved when she almost wet the couch. She is now happily residing in her precious and coveted diaper.

One of these days, though, it'll be my turn to win!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hang in there. It will happen, but not when YOU want it to, unfortunately. Good luck!

Debbie said...

I feel your pain. I too would love to spend $45.00 on something other than diapers, yet I am happy for the convenience of disposables. In the eternal perspective of things, this will be but a small moment. I can't help but think maybe one day I'll wish for Morgan to still be three and un-potty trained, compared to the other things I'll have to deal with later which will, no doubt, be much harder. In the words of a wise aunt " She'll be potty-trained by Kindergarten!" (And yes, one day YOU'LL win) *hugs*

Jen said...

I do not look forward to potty training!

Cynthia said...

I am in the EXACT situation with my almost four year old princess. She gets into tears if I talk about it. NOTHING will convince her. I am not a smart mommy, 'cause I just can't let it go! I WANT IT NOW! I am sick of stinky diapers just like you!
I want her to enjoy preschool and a dance class, without diapers, but now she doesn't want those two things either! Stubborn princess.
P.S. I'm also house training our new puppy too....yeah, everyone wants to be me :)