Thursday, August 27, 2009

Words You Hate

For the most part I love words. REALLY love words. It's a natural outcome for someone who spends oodles of time finding new ways to say old things so you all will find yourselves wanting to read more.

This morning made me think about words I just don't like. My favorite morning radio show was doing a poll on people's least favorite words. To everyone's surprise not one word was repeated though they took dozens of calls. Some we all cringed to, like moist, or secretion. They just sound wrong. Others we all laughed at, like hole (to which Court said, "I usually don't mind the word hole, except when (this caller) says it." The guy managed to make the word sound off, lol), and bequeathed. Even a word pronounced wrong brought giggles, like pianist (when prouncounced PEE-en-ist, to which Chunga said, "You don't call the instrument a PEE-en-oh.")It was a fun-filled morning.

I began to think of words that mean something beautiful, but due to overuse in a negative way we don't think of them as good. Take the word 'fondle.' Are you experiencing heeby-jeebies just as I am? Get this. The definition of fondle (shudder) is to handle or touch lovingly, affectionately, or tenderly. It can mean a method to show love, or fondness. It's akin to a caress, a hug, especially as a parent might show love to a child. Yet even phrased this way we're so used to seeing it paired with child abusers we cannot think of it in any other way. How sad!

I also started wondering, what words just seem "wrong" to you? I have to admit 'moist' is one of my least favorite words, though it wasn't until some of my hubby and my old friends' brought it up (yes, Mike, Shane and Todd, I'm thinking of you). Yet I'll work on using any other word just so it will never be utilized. I don't like the word 'defile' either. Or 'bowel.' I'd much rather say pooped. Seriously. 'Cream' or 'creamy' is another one. It brings too many pictures of nasty foods I've seen over the years.

So tell me. What words simply make you cringe?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I HATE HATE HATE the word Urinate. It grosses me out. Why can't we just say PEE? Is that so wrong? I also can't stand incorrect grammar and/or spelling. Like the use of Their, There, They're. Grates on me like fingernails on a chalkboard! Arugh! You're too cute, Laurie!

LaurieW said...

YES! It's so hard for me some days on Facebook when someone spells something wrong, or uses the wrong spelling, and I have to refrain from correcting them! I really do.

You know what other word I hate? Butt. I'm a bum person around here. Butt sounds too crass to me. I much prefer bum...

LaDawn said...

What a great topic! My least favorite word is "facetious". Not only is it IMPOSSIBLE to spell, I had to Google it (thank you spell correct and confirmation from dictionary.com) I had a boyfriend in college who, in response to anyone who used the word facetious, would say "Great, now we're talking about feces!" He of course knew that that was not what they were talking about, but now that's what I think of whenever I hear the word.

LaurieW said...

What an irritating man! lol I hate it when people spoil words for us. Of course now, whenever I see or hear that word, that's exactly what I'll think of ;) Ah, his legacy lives on...