Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My Kid's a Friggin' Genius!

Okay so I might be just a smidge biased, but it's safe to say he did an amazing job on his Kindergarten assessment today.

His teacher started him off spelling his name, and reading off capitol and small letters. He aced the big letters, and ended up with two little p's and two little i's. All in all pretty awesome. He could read numbers up through 13 and recognized 22, but can count up past 50!

Just look at that kid go!

But what surprised both me and his teacher was his sounding out skills and spelling skills. He was able to sound out all the words put before his adorable eyes, and spelled all the three letter words she asked.

At this point she turned to me and said, "I've never had a kid do that before. Never. They always struggle."

Cartwheels in my head! Fireworks in my heart! My kid's a genius!

Oh all right. It's not like I have anything to do with his intellect, nor did I have a hand in him learning all these fantastic abc's or how to sound letters out. If he'd been at home for the last year he'd barely know how to count to five, let alone spell his name. We owe all of that hard work to his pre-school teachers.

His teacher seemed really excited to have B in her class, and from that short 1/2 hour meeting I'm excited she's teaching him. I have a good feeling about the two of them. Not to mention my ego's been stroked so thoroughly I could have been a cat in a previous existence.

Still, he really could be a genius.

No comments: