Sunday, August 31, 2008

Sunday Inspirations August 31, 2008

This day was inspirational specifically because I felt so blessed.

A few days ago I received a phone call from the musical chairperson in our ward (local congregation). As part of today's Sacrament Meeting she'd been asked, by my husband no less, to put together a special musical number.

The song was, "The Spirit of God."

I joined six other ladies yesterday to practice, and strongly felt the Holy Spirit even then. Today was unbelievable. I almost couldn't sing for emotions felt so high. I don't know about those sitting in the congregation, but for myself it was an extraordinary experience.

Afterward my husband, as bishop, stood to give a special talk (sermon). There were many subjects to cover in a rather short time, and all of the subjects had been provided by the Stake Presidency. I began to joke that I wished they'd sent a talk along with it. Yeah, I know. My hubby didn't think it was so funny either.

At first we couldn't figure out how to fill up an entire meeting singlehanded. Normally speakers give 10-15 minute talks. Once we began researching and putting everything together, we began to wonder how to fit everything into just thirty-forty minutes.

It took a little over a month, but between the two of us we managed to put together a really (in my opinion) great talk. It was loooong, and today he even had to cut some of it out. There was no doubt in my mind just how powerfully the Holy Spirit was there today. At one point even the children and babies in the meeting quieted, and I couldn't believe how silent everyone was. Of course, a few adults were napping, but for the most part I watched the faces of those around the chapel as they paid apt attention.

The talk spoke most of being in alignment with our Heavenly Father. We can only do this by listening to His prophets, apostles, area leaders, stake and local leaders, on down through teachers. If we are following what they say, we are in alignment with Heavenly Father and His plans for us. If we ever doubt, we are encouraged, even as Moses himself was told to do by Jethro, his father-in-law, to go to the Lord and inquire if these things be true.

This one simple act seems too often swept under the rug, tossed in a corner as though unimportant. We rely too much on our own thoughts, and become a few degrees off course. How vital can even those few degrees be in staying on course? President Uchdtorf, of the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, used to fly planes. He explained in a talk that if we were to fly around the world, intending to come back to the same place we started, and we were just one degree off course, we'd find ourselves 500 miles off of our original destination. That's about an hour flight.

It's a little frightening to think about, isn't it? Yet, if we recognize this mistake and make the proper course corrections (think repentance), we will once again find ourselves back in alignment with God. Sometimes we'll realize our mistakes quickly, other times we may think the path back to our Heavenly Father seems like too far to travel.

Of this I'm certain. Getting back on course will always be worth it.

Today I ask you the same question proffered in my husband's talk: Am I in alignment with Heavenly Father?

Think about it.

(Anyone who'd like to read a copy of the talk, feel free to e-mail me at loriwalker3@msn.com).

No comments: