Sunday, November 8, 2009

Sunday Inspirations November 8, 2009

This morning as I was preparing some fun things to do with the kids in singing time today, I felt distinctly that I needed to tell them about the scriptures related to the songs we sing.

In both the LDS Hymnbook and the Children's Songbook, at the end of every song there is a scripture verse - sometimes more than one - connecting the music to the Word of God. A hymn is one of the most fantastic ways to bring the Spirit of the Lord in to our meetings, a room, or just into our hearts. It easily drives away any bad or frightening feelings, as it has been called a form of prayer.

"For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads" Doctrine & Covenants 25:12.

Sacred songs and the Word of God go hand in hand. They teach us to do right, they invite the Holy Spirit, they praise our Lord and Savior, and help us to bear our testimony. There is something so beautiful about hearing my children come home from church still singing songs they learned that day.

This month children in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (nicknamed the Mormons) all the world over have been learning about how families can serve one another. A short, sweet, and fun song our own ward (local congregation) has learned is called Quickly I'll Obey. For those of you who are able, click on the title and take some time to listen to the music. The words teach children the principle (and commandment) of obeying their parents.

"When my mother calls me, quickly I'll obey.

I want to do just what is best, each and every day.

When my father calls me, quickly I'll obey.

I want to do just what is best, each and every day.

My Heavenly Father loves me, blesses me each day,

I want to do just what is best, each and every day."

Words by Thelma J. Harrison, 1906-1991


There are two scriptures listed with this song. The first can be found in Colossians 3:20 - "Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord."

The second can be found in the book of Alma 37:35 - "O, remember, my son, and learn wisdom in thy youth; yea, learn in thy youth to keep the commandments of God."

As the children and I went through this song and the related scriptures, we learned it's important to obey our righteous mothers and fathers because it helps prepare us to obey Heavenly Father's commandments as well. So easily taught, so easily learned, and done in a way that will stick with the children.

It's my hope to take each of our new songs and read through the scriptures listed with them, so as to help tie the two together in such a way that the children will keep the tradition going.

No comments: