Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Eliminating My Allergies, Part I

Back when I had my first baby I began to develop skin rashes. They started on my arms, traveled to my legs, then headed north to my face and neck. That was more than ten years ago. I went to a lot of doctors, but they all said, "It's eczema, there's nothing I can do." Then they'd slap a tube of cortizone cream in my hand and send me on my not-so-merry way.

My mother can tell you I was never satisfied with that answer. I noticed my rashes would flare up every time a storm would come in and the humidity in the air would increase. I felt certain it had to do with allergies as every time I took some Benedryl or other antihistamine it would all clear up. I went in for loads of tests, but blood tests all came back "normal" and the only thing I reacted to on the scratch tests was nickel.

Skin rashes probably don't seem like a big deal to many out there. Perhaps it's those who've endured them who can fully understand what it's like. I've scratched so hard and so often I've been covered in scabs. There were nights I'd wake up scratching. At times the rashes would be so bad I couldn't hold my children or sit next to my husband. I didn't like to be touched. I couldn't even stand the feel of my clothes on my skin. At times I was so embarrassed to go out in public. I even overheard my oldest trying to explain away mom's rash-covered face to some of her friends. It's been torturous.

Maybe now you might understand why I was tired of going to doctors. I was sick of hearing them tell me the same thing over and over: we can't help you.

It wasn't until my husband told someone he works with about my frustrations that I finally came across the first ray of hope I'd had in more than ten years. I was led to a man who dealt with NAET, or Nambudripad's Allergy Elimination Technique.

I'll talk more about my experiences with NAET in upcoming posts, but if you'd like to read up on it go to http://www.naet.com/ . Just as I'd thought, my "eczema" was due to allergies, and I'm on the road to recovery.

No comments: