Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sunday Inspirations June 29, 2008

I'm sorry to say until this past year I had no idea the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, nicknamed the Mormon Church, is the only (to my knowledge) Christian sect that believes we existed before we came to this earth. There are little evidences to this in the Bible, but so much scripture that possibly taught us more about our pre-earth life has been lost by the choices of mankind. We had a chance to learn, to grow and develop just as we have that same opportunity here and now.

I think this is one of the reasons so many who lack this simple knowledge of our real beginnings feel so lost. Why would Heavenly Father place one spirit in a home with loving parents, enough money, and every opportunity afforded, and then place another spirit in the home of an abusive mother, no father, and so far below the poverty level they spend most of their growing up years being homeless? Why is it some people seem to have every bad thing possible happen to them, while others go their entire lives with practically everything handed over?

What is the rhyme or reason for these decisions? Why would a loving Heavenly Father be so casual about His own children? Where is the sense behind allowing us all the chance to choose our own way here on earth, but not being given the choice of where to start out?

For those of you who are members of the Latter-day Saint Church, you may now understand my confusion about the rest of the world's view on our purpose here in life as compared to ours.

I could (and have) written several times on the Plan of Salvation, or the Plan of Happiness. It makes sense, not only to me but to millions of others out there, that we lived before we were born. We had an opportunity to learn and grow, to make choices about ourselves even before we came to earth. For those who would like a closer look on what we, as "Mormons" believe, you can read an article I wrote for teens: Where Did We Come From? If you'd like a closer look, feel free to visit the Plan of Salvation section at http://www.lds.org/. Instead of going into the details of where we came from, I'd like to take a moment to think about what it is we brought with us when we were born.

I have a passion for teens. I can't help myself, I feel it's so extraordinarily important for them to know what precious spirits they are, to know just how much they are loved, and that they can do great things. I have a passion for learning. There are few things in this world more exhilerating to me than discovering some new morsel of information I'd never known before. I have a passion for teaching and public speaking. While others find themselves shaking from head to toe, sweat pouring down their backs, and the words stumbling from trembling lips, I get a total and complete rush from the chance to share with others some of the knowledge my Heavenly Father has blessed me with.

Obviously I have a passion for writing. There is something remarkable to me when words begin flowing through my fingertips onto the computer screen, and every once in a while I know, without a doubt, that those words were not directly from me.

We all bring special gifts, intense passions, and jobs to accomplish from our lives before we came here to earth. We have been blessed with particular hardships (that's right, I said blessed) to help us grow and develop in this life so that we can accomplish these jobs, and become the extraordinary beings our Heavenly Father knows we can be.

Take some time out today to write down the things you're passionate about. Look for what gifts you possess, even if they seem miniscule. Pray about what your callings in this life are to be. And if you're not sure about the truth of anything I've said, but have a sincere desire to know, pray about that as well.

No comments: